"I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes." - e. e. cummings

AddThis

Share |

8.03.2010

where it all began...

Share |
So now I am back where the adventure began, Lookout Mountain, GA in my apartment at Covenant College. I can remember leaving this apartment at the beginning of June, on my way to Michigan. I returned the second week of July from California for one night. And now after being in Florida for 15 days I am finally back. And this place does feel like home to me...even more after this summer, now that I'm back from everywhere.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but Scott and I had a really good time in LA for the few days we were there. Joel went to Chicago to visit his sister and Scott and I stayed in Hollywood as I mentioned before in a post. But while there we managed to see downtown, the USC campus, Pasadena, Hollywood Boulevard (Walk of Fame), Sunset Strip, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica Beach and pier...Some of our highlights included going to a Dodgers vs Cubs game, playing beach volleyball against a Swiss couple at the beach, seeing what might have been David Beckham's $500,000 car in Beverly Hills, and getting onto the TV show NCIS LA. Yes, Scott and I pretended to be background extras and we walked right into the middle of a shoot. The director placed us and told us what to do, and as the chase scene went down I was right there in the middle of the shot...and Chris O'Donnell stepped on my foot. It was a pretty sweet experience to be a part of a live shoot in the middle of Hollywood. And we certainly weren't allowed to be there at all...everyone else was getting paid $200 for the day. And after about five different shots the director told us all to go to the holding area, so we just followed the crowd. Eventually we broke off and decided to leave, but it was a SWEET experience for sure!

My time in Florida was really good. I was able to do a good amount of things like I said before. I have posted some pictures and a video from the beach at Captiva Island. It was a pretty day...just extremely hot, around 100 degrees. But the water was beautiful and cool and we were able to see dolphins and throw the football around and such.
Two Dolphins (video) 



Unfortunately since I maxed out of pictures Down Under I had no room left in California and the only time I took pics in Florida was at Captiva. But I'll also attach some pictures from my friends Pedro and Jessica's wedding. It was such a great time! 

On Thursday night I left home to go to Pedro's show (he is the drummer for KJ 52) in Lake Placid which is right in the middle of nowhere just north of Lake Okachobee in Florida...straight up Florida wilderness. The show didn't start until 10 pm so it was dark as I was driving this small little road which was very straight and very flat for miles. I was driving about 75 mph at the time when I suddenly saw a shadow in the middle of the road and swerved to get out of the way. My first thought was that it was a deer...but as I passed it, my lights shone straight into his eyes and he tried to take a bite out of my tire. It was, of course, an alligator...a very large one at that, probably around 10 foot. And that thing really freaked me out...anytime you almost hit something in the middle of the road it frightens you, but when you almost nail an alligator crossing the road it gets to you a bit. Or at least it did to me. It was pretty crazy...and I would have turned around and gone back if I wasn't in a hurry. So anyways that is my story.

All in all I totaled my trip up at just over 29,000 total miles traveled this summer all over the world. It was really a great time and I would love to talk to you about it in person or over the phone. I can verbally explain so much more than through cyber space. I will share a map with you too that has the total route of flights and most of the driving that we did. I hope to make in depth maps in certain areas that we traveled around in to show more depth to the maps. For example, our time in Sydney and the actual places we walked and the areas we saw through our pictures and videos which I can place at the actual locations.
Map of Summer 2010
Map of Summer 2010 (USA)

Well, I'm back in work mode now so I need to catch some sleep. Until next time...

God Bless you all,
-b garrison

No comments:

Post a Comment