"I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes." - e. e. cummings

AddThis

Share |

10.17.2010

Charleston

Share |

So, I am writing from Charleston, SC. Yeah...this was complete spontaneity. I have been wanting to come here for a long time and when my initial plans for Fall Break fell through I decided yesterday to throw my kayak on my car, pack some camping supplies and some food and drive on over. It's pretty sweet here. I enjoyed my afternoon around downtown. I just found out the my friend Chris is in town as well (when I previously thought he would be on vacation) so we might hit the town tonight.

This is what it comes down to...there is no plan. And I have actually worked hard to keep it that way. Sometimes you need to just go, and see where the experience leads you. I believe that can be the most exciting and rewarding way to travel at times. Now, I'm prepared for anything, camping, sleeping in the car, I've got food and water, maps if I need them. But the goal for me, in this trip, is to go without an agenda...well, besides enjoying the beauty of this city and its natural environment. Just go and see what happens. Be flexible, be loose.

Tomorrow I am planning on taking the kayak out...not exactly sure where, but at least I know of a general location. The Sullivan Island area, which I've heard is beautiful, will most likely be the destination. I was planning on just kayaking around the Intercoastal in between the islands and mainland around the marshes, but I providentially ran into a lady around the Battery this afternoon who started talking to me.

It turns out that she grew up here but lived for 30 years in Mentone, Alabama, just behind Lookout Mountain. We talked about that for a bit and I came to speak of my kayaking hopes and she told some crucial facts about the tides and the current; certain areas not to go, etc. She said it can become very dangerous if you go in the wrong areas. The Lord was definitely looking out for me! She told me about this area called Shem Creek on the way out to Sullivan's Island. I looked it up and it seems pretty sweet. Apparently there are dolphins are over this area. So it looks like I will kayak some, then maybe hit the beach at Sullivan's and then maybe do some more kayaking. We shall see.

And I just heard from my friend Chris and he wants me to stay at his place tonight so...free lodging! without having to sleep in the car! God is good!

I can explain some more depth to my trip later. But for now, I'm gonna save my computer battery.

So long.
-b garrison

No comments:

Post a Comment